Sometimes (most times?) you have burning questions that require immediate answers. For such days, we turn to the Magic 8 Ball. But, when you do, how do you correctly call the spirit guide in. How do you ask for the Magic 8 Ball? You simply, but very consciously, concentrate on what you want to know, phrase the question correctly, and ask the Magic 8 Ball your burning question. Then you open your eyes, turn the ball over and read its response in the window.
Here, try it.
Q: Is it wise to get my advice from a Magic 8-ball?
A: Without a doubt!
Set your Intention
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again. The trick to getting the Magic 8 Ball right is to set your intention and consciously recognize before you ask the Magic 8 Ball, like any divination tool. Afterall, Magic 8 Balls were actually inspired by a real-life clairvoyant. This fortune-telling invention is your power of foresight. But first, set your intention.
- Understand and identify – your deepest desires, your burning queries.
- What do you really want to know?
- Set your intention – Very determinedly. Concentrate on what you want to ask. Concentrate on what you want.
You can shape your future yourself. If you concentrate hard enough on what you want, you can get it. Just like if you focus on your question clearly enough, you can get the answer that you really want from the Ball.
Expert tip – Set your intention. Understand. Be open. Stay conscious.
Asking the Right Question
Asking the right question is Step 2. Does she have a crush on me? Will I pass the test? Will the METS win the World Series? We suggest the best way to ask your Magic 8 Ball a question is to breakdown and categorise. What do you want to know? Is it about yourself or someone else? Do you want an immediate response or just something to think about? Are you ready for any prediction from the Ball or do you want to hear something very specific?
Simply put, think about the question before you go ahead and ask it.
- Summarise your question. Know what you are asking.
- Breakdown and Categorise – Do you want to ask about the past (what has happened already), the present (what is occurring right now), or the future (what is to happen in the coming times)? Is it a Yes/No question, or a more sweeping open question that can have a range of possible answers? Is it a question that can have only one correct answer?
- Phrase the question correctly – Make it as simple as possible. Don’t bunch more than one. Make it direct.
But, what do the Answers Mean?
Expert Tip: Read the response with an open mind – The Magic 8 Ball is giving you a response that appears to be very simple and direct, but it is important to interpret it to really understand what it means, especially in the context of your question.
The creators of the Magic 8 Ball, together with Doctor Lucien Cohen, a psychology professor at the University of Cincinnati, designed this twenty-sided die to have an exact mix of these non-committal, affirmative or negative statements imprinted inraised letters.
Tips and Tricks
What questions can you ask the Magic 8 Ball?
There are two ways to do this –
“Is the financial market about to crash?”
“What is the reason for the financial market crash”
The former question type is more of a Yes/No question. Its easier, its more direct and the answer will be easier to interpret.
The latter one is more of the sweeping, open-ended question type, which is definitely more indirect and harder to interpret. The response for it can be anything from
- As I see it, Yes, which could mean,
- yes, there is a reason to the financial market crash and it is what you think it is. OR
- Yes, there is a reason to the financial market crash but its hard to say what it is. OR
- Yes, the financial market will crash. The reason is unnecessary.
- Very doubtful, which could mean,
- No, the financial market will not crash hence it needs no reason.
- Its very doubtful that the reason for the financial market crash can be identified.
- The financial market will crash but the reason is very doubtful
- Concentrate and ask again, which could mean,
- The Ball is hazy, ask again
- You aren’t concentrating enough. Try again with more intention and conscious concentration.
- The prediction isn’t possible right now. Maybe later.
Yes/No Question (Type 1) vs. Open-Ended Question (Type 2)
Every question can be categorized in these two types. Let’s try sorting a few questions out to make this clearer. For example:
|Type 1||Type 2|
|Does she love me?||Why does she love me?|
|Is my girlfriend cheating on me?||Why is my girlfriend cheating on me?|
|Should I invest in the latest project deal?||What will the latest project deal investment mean?|
|Can our team win the next game?||How will our team win the next game?|
|Will it rain today?||How long will it rain today?|
|Will I be able to complete my Marathon training?||When will I complete my Marathon training?|
|Will the weather be favourable on training day?||What will the weather be on training day?|
|Should I move in with my partner?||When should I move in with my partner?|
|Does my future hold anything big?||What does my future hold for me?|
|Will I face the same problem again?||Why do I face the same problem over and over again?|
|Can I motivate myself?||How can I motivate myself?|
|Do people like to be around me?||Why do people like to be around me?|
|Should I accept a job offer in another city?||Which city will I get the next job offer from?|
|Will I be successful in my new business venture?||Which area should I attempt my next successful business venture in?|
You can ask the Magic 8 Ball anything. As long as you know what it is, and frame it intelligently, the Ball can be your answer to every burning question. Once you’ve tried it a few times, you’ll get a better grasp at the kind of questions to ask the Magic 8 Ball, and also how to interpret its huge variety of questions.
Reference 1: Magic 8-Ball Answers All Of Sarah’s Important Questions
Reference 2: “Timeless Toys: Classic Toys and the Playmakers Who Created Them” by Time Walsh
Reference 3: Popular Science Magazine, issue of January 1921
Reference 4: Popular Mechanics, issue of January 2000 – Famous Americans Predict the Future
Reference 5 – Uncovering the Mystery of the Magic 8 Ball.
Reference 6 – The Strong National Museum of Play “Outlook Good: Magic 8 Ball Inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame”
Figure 1 – Asking the Right Question!